PLOT 6 & 7
UK GOVERNMENT HUB
The Plot 6 & 7 is a 12-storey building situated on the Central Square Site in the Centre of Cardiff. It will serve as the new UK Government Hub building and will be home to 3,500 civil servants in the centre of Cardiff. The principal access will be off Wood Street which will be in constant use in line with a city centre public highway.
The steel-frame structured building with concrete cores consists of an east and west core, each including a staircase, a lift, and toilets with both gender neutral and accessible facilities. The central core includes 8 lifts leading to the main working space on each floor whilst the ground floor includes a café, cycle store and changing facilities with showers to encourage staff to take an alternative means of travel to work.
CMB were awarded the Mechanical & Electrical Contract on this project (CAT A: M&E and CAT B: M) to provide the following services:
– The Mechanical installation features a heating installation of gas fired boilers serving Fan Coil Units, Radiators, Air Handling Units, a Chilled Water System to provide cooling, ventilation system comprised of a number of Air Handling Units and Heat Recovery Units.
– DX Cooling to all IT Comms Rooms provided by our In-House Specialist; CMB Renewables.
– Domestic Water Services provided by boosted cold water supply and hot water via a gas fired water heater.
– Fully integrated Trend BMS Control System.
– The Electrical Systems comprised of LV Switchboard and Distribution, Life Safety Generator, Small Power, Lighting, Fire Alarm Systems and ICT System. A photovoltaic array on the roof provides a source of electricity with a facility to export to the grid during summer months.
– The building is protected by a sprinkler system, smoke extract system and car park ventilation. There are also fire curtains installed on each floor to protect fire from spreading through the goods lift.
– The Building is covered by a CCTV installation and Access Control which creates a secure environment.
This was a huge project for CMB to be a part of and the building will become a prominent feature of the Cardiff City skyline. We were pleased to have successfully handed over the project in January 2021 to a satisfied client.