The STEAM Building, Brunel Centre is a brand new standalone state the art building developed on existing land within the SGS Wise Campus in Stoke Gifford, Bristol.
CMB Bristol have been involved in this project from stage 2 design providing accurate cost advice and design input throughout all stages. As the building is constructed with a CLT frame it was vital that early design was achieved to enable the bespoke timber frame design and manufacture process which was all completed off site.
The new 3-storey building creates a facility to house Level 3 Academic Science, Technology, Maths and Vocational Art/Design on the SGS WISE campus. Along with City of Bristol College and the Bristol UTC also previously completed by CMB this will create a sub-regional Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics (STEAM) hub.
CMB provided Mechanical & Electrical services to this project, carrying out works including:
- Mechanical heating is provided via electrically powered ASHP’s serving radiators and a small number of MVHR units.
- Domestic Water Services provided by cold water fed from the existing building storage and supply and hot water via localised instantaneous water heaters.
- DX Cooling to the small comms room has been provided by our in-house company CMB renewables.
- A Schneider BMS control system has been provided, this is a client requirement to enable connection with existing buildings and future development and integration.
- Electrically there is a Main LV Switch panel providing general power throughout the building.
- Lighting is provided by a mixture of recessed and surface suspended luminaires which have been designed sympathetically with the building / architectural design. Control to all teaching space lighting is by wireless organic response scene switches with dimming and pre-programmable function. A mixture of PIR and manual lighting controls are provided to all other spaces.
- The building is flood wired with Cat 6 structured cabling outlets which is connected via a fibre backbone to the main college building.
- Fire Alarm & substantial CCTV, Access Control systems are all installed, again these systems link back to the main college building with remote control and operation of the latter systems.
- Dedicated PA, Disabled refuge and alarm systems were also installed.
- Blue LED feature lighting is also provided to the external vertical brise solei which also incorporates PV panels pre-installed by the Main Contractors specialist at works.
The project handover took place this month, March 2021, with a further Gatehouse building following shortly afterwards which will form the new secure pedestrian entrance to the site.
This STEAM building, as part of the South Gloucestershire and Stroud College development, adds to an ever-growing list of educational buildings that CMB are involved in. We are proud to be working on a number of ground-breaking projects across the U.K which will provide top of the range facilities for students of the next generation to study in.
Special thank you to the CMB team on this project as well as the contractors and clients we worked alongside who all spoke highly of the experience as a memorable and pleasant project to be a part of.